Without having to cut holes in timber elements like walls, joists can be connected with joist hangers. The risk of timber end penetration by dampness is also prevented, in part, by the use of these hangers. To fasten joists, joist hangers were made as an effective, fast, and economical tool. To suit almost any timber dimension, they are available in a vast array of sizes.
There are also various types of joist hangers available on the market.
Thanks to the simplicity joist hangers offer the construction industry, roofs, ceilings, floor joists, and decking can all be built very quickly compared to how long it would have taken in days past (before the invention of joist hangers).
To provide structural stability, resist downward force, and offer a strong connection, joist hangers provide underneath support for rafters, joists, or timber beams. Outdoor use is possible thanks to the joist’s galvanized coating. Good news for those using joist hangers for decks. With either simple nails or screws, this hardware can be fixed in place.
Joist hangers fall into two categories:
Joist Hanger Types
The following are types of joist hangers:
- Face fix joist hangers
- Masonry joist hangers
- Masonry return joist hangers
- Concealed flange joist hangers
- I-joist hangers
- Welded masonry joist hangers
Advantages of Timber-to-Timber Joist Hangers
When you need to strengthen a timber connection that is non-load bearing or one that is load-bearing, you can use a timber-to-timber joist hanger. To fasten joists to beams and ledger boards, these use face mount attachments. In fact, the term "face fix joist hangers" could apply to this type of hardware.
Here are the advantages of timber-to-timber joist hangers:
- No drilling is needed
- Can be fixed with simple nailing
- Reliable and fast fixing method
- Effective, fast, simple way of fastening joists to ledger boards, the face of beams, and more
Timber to timber hanger types:
- I-joist hangers
- Heavy-duty joist hanger
Advantages of Timber-to-Masonry Joist Hangers
When a timber floor meets with masonry walls, timber-to-masonry joist hangers are used. Their advantages are as follows:
- Can also be used for applications involving timber-to-timber
- The need to cut facing brickwork holes or build around joists is eliminated
- Good for renovation and extension work
- Can be used to build into blockwork or new brick
- Good form connecting joists to supporting beams and masonry
Timber-to-masonry joist hanger types:
- Adjustable lock plate-equipped return joist hanger
- Welded masonry return joist hanger
- Welded masonry joist hanger
- Single-piece joist hanger
Now that you're familiar with the different types of joist hangers, where can you purchase yours?
Count on Factory Direct Supply for Your Woodworking/Masonry Needs
Clips, hangers, anchors, connectors, straps, and clips—you name it, Factory Direct Supply stocks it. Take, for example, our Simpson Strong-Tie galvanized face mount joist hanger. For extra corrosion resistance, this product features a G90 galvanized finish.
We carry all sorts of hardware items, tools, accessories, and more including the following:
- Wedge anchors
- Titen bolts
- Retrofit bolts
- EZ anchors
- Drop-in anchors.
- Rebar tools
- Structural steel/rebar
- Power tools and accessories
- Woodworking machines
Head over to FactoryDirectSupplyOnline.com today to browse our full collection of products!